Working With Youth
Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW) Rape Crisis Centre has a long history of working with youth, between front-line service delivery and dedicated prevention and leadership education. We know that all youth are affected by violence whether or not they are actual victims. The fear of violence is a crucial factor in controlling youth; where they go and how they act.
Through the Raise It Up youth program we seek to inspire youth to change this reality for themselves, their families, schools, communities and for society. As an organization that values our youth and seeks to see a society free from violence we believe it is imperative to work with youth to prevent violence.
A society where all women are free from violence.
Women Against Violence Against Women Rape Crisis Centre works to end all forms of violence against women. Guided by our feminist anti-oppression philosophy we challenge and change thinking, actions, and systems that contribute to violence against women. We provide all women who have experienced any form of sexualized violence with support and healing, and engage with youth to develop leadership for prevention of future violence.
- We believe that youth are valuable and essential members in society
- We believe that youth hold critical knowledge we can all learn from
- We believe that youth can reimagine femininity and masculinity
- We believe that by understanding the root causes of violence and using a feminist anti-oppression analysis, youth can end violence
- We believe that youth need a safe, supportive, learning environment to explore how violence affects their lives
- We believe that adults are responsible for guiding, enriching and contributing to youth’s knowledge
WAVAW is committed to developing youth leadership for prevention of future violence in service of our vision of a future society free from violence.
Question Power, Shift Thinking.